Saturday, April 25, 2020

MASKS! Yes, we have masks... thanks for asking!

WOW. Okay, let's play catchup really fast.
MASKS are so important and we have two styles at the moment to offer you.



let's get to the masks.

our most popular option is the mask made by our number 1 seamstress, Ying.  Right away she knew that masks were going to be important. I remember saying to her, "we can TRY them out but I am not sure anyone will want a mask." Gosh, how wrong I was!
We are selling these cuties as fast as she can sew them and they are awesome.
Her mask is superior to your usual mask... why? It has 4 layers (most masks are only 2) and the interior layer is organic cotton. It has a pocket to add a filter and elastic ear loops that you can adjust to tighten for a good fit. And of course, Ying picks the cutest prints that we rotate every 10 days.
You need a mask. You need more than one... really two would be the minimum so you always have one clean and ready to go.  
I think it is helpful to have different prints per each member of your household so it is very easy to tell who the mask belongs to at a glance.  The adult size is perfect for men and women and she also makes a "youth" size that is good for about 4-10 years old.


Here are some of my favorite prints and a link to the listing online. Let me know if you have any questions about this mask!







We also make a traditional pleated, surgical style mask. These we are offering these in packs of 5 assorted black prints.  I guess we will do this until we run out of cute black cotton! 
These masks are 2 layers, with a filter pocket and they tie behind your head which seems nice for extended wear or if you wear glasses or perhaps your ears are sensitive to then ear loops.  
These masks are available in one size which is great for adult faces. 








With all masks please remember that they are an additional tool for safety and cannot replace common sense and are best coupled with other precautions like Social Distancing, Staying Home when you are sick, washing your hands with soap and hot water and generally avoiding touching your face!  
Be safe. 


How we got started with masks is sort of interesting... I was home one day not long after deciding to close the store temporarily .. not an easy decision but every place in Portland got on board pretty quickly so it seemed clear it was the right thing to do. Anyway, I got a call from an old friend asking if I could make masks for her husbands business. He worked as a manager at a vitamin factory and they were an "essential" business so staying open. The workers used disposable surgical masks while working but it was immediately clear that hospitals were in need of all available masks so he asked if we could make washable masks for the employees to wear at work! I took him up right away because I was so scared about closing the store and also really wanted to provide some income to my two seamstresses. We agreed to make 1300 masks! It was such a massive undertaking for our tiny production team but it felt good to be helping hospitals get much needed masks and also it was at least some rent money for everyone on my team. 

Here are some pix from this big project. 

this was the first batch we shipped.. 580 masks! we used materials on hand and got feedback that the workers thought it was fun to have all the cute prints and happy colors! 

Whatever it takes, right?  
It was so valuable and such a learning experience about mass production. I had never taken on anything that big and the learning curve was kind of steep for me, to be honest. Meanwhile, in the middle of this project we started making and selling so many masks to our customers that our work load went from Zero to 100 overnight and it was actually pretty taxing to get it all done. No regrets! But things changed so fast from day to day in the first few weeks of Shelter in Place.  

I am so grateful that we were able to pivot so quickly. It gave me something really good and positive to focus on and got me to the next step.  

I love all my follygirls and feel special that I can still be here making clothing in 2020! I knew it was going to be a crazy year but definitely didn't think it was going to be like THIS! 

I love you. 
Stay safe. 
xoox. Sarah




No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year #follygirl

 We made it to 2024! I always feel some weird sense of relief when the "holidays" are behind me. There's just so much build up...